Worldbuilding, Storytelling, and Genre Conventions
In this episode:
- We get interested in different pieces of media for different reasons. Generally, there are two types of stories: character stories and idea stories. Sometimes, a setting can make us bounce off a piece of media really hard (real-world stuff for Void and traditional high-fantasy for Beej), but it can also be enough of a draw that we push through mediocre stories to find out more about the world.
- We discuss various settings such as Star Wars, the Brandon Sanderson Cosmere, Mass Effect Andromeda, Fallout, and Zelda. There are lots of draws to each of them, but in the end, we discuss the conventions that make each of them work for us and why others don’t.
- Beej – Card thief / Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze / Splatoon
- Void – Card Thief / Dynasty Warriors Unleashed / Blaster Master Zero / A King’s Tale / Planet Coaster / Torment Tides of Numenera / Shovel Knight
Be sure to subscribe to the Geek to Geek Podcast your favorite podcast app, drop a review so we know how we’re doing, and feel free contact us via email at email@example.com or @geektogeekcast on Twitter with any comments, questions, or suggestions for the show. Thanks for listening, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
Geek Offer of the Week:
- The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson audibletrial.com/geektogeekcast
Geek to Geek Podcast Network:
Music by CarboHydroM