Netflix Originals and Void’s Nintendo Switch Corner
In this episode:
- Netflix Originals tend to keep our attention more than most other TV shows. For the most part, network TV doesn’t interest us, and we binge Netflix Originals and look forward to them all year long. The only other network putting out content as good as some of these Netflix Originals is HBO. And even that is only a few shows like West World and Game of Thrones.
- Hulu and Amazon have original shows they produce, too, and they’re fantastic as well. But they’re few and far between compared to Netflix. Beej loves Casual on Hulu and Alpha House on Amazon. THere are others, too, that you should check out like 11-22-63 and The Man in the High Castle.
- Are the non-streaming networks are in trouble? We think so. Netflix is quadrupling their content this year, putting an additional $6 Billion for new content in 2017–including over 600 hours of new Netflix Originals. Just as an example, The Crown was picked up for a full run of 6 seasons (10 episodes per seasons) with each episode averaging a budget of $2.5 Million. So yeah. They’re pretty confident in themselves.
Shows we discuss:
- Netflix MCU: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and the upcoming Defenders, Iron Fist, and Punisher (plus new seasons of the existing shows).
- Terrace House
- Comedy Specials
- Kimmy Schmidt
- Fuller House
- Chef’s Table
- Stranger Things
- Orange is the New Black
- The Crown
- House of Cards
- Marco Polo
- Bojack Horseman
- Master of None
- Grace and Frankie
- THERE ARE SO MANY MORE THAT WE JUST DIDN’T HAVE TIME FOR
Void’s Nintendo Switch Corner!
- $300 in the US with console, dock, joycons, cables, and joycon battery base controller pak thingy.
- Neon coloring… more colors later probably. Dual color…kind of ugly.
- Battery life 2.5 to 6.5 hours depending on game / settings
- Joycons look potentially over-engineered. Why does Nintendo always need a new gimmick? How much did this add to the price? $80 for a pair.
- Dock is $90. Expensive peripherals all around. $70 pro controller. Maybe just buy a second Switch instead?
- Weird Online Stuff (Nintendo being Nintendo)
- Free for a limited time
- Paid in Fall 2017 onwards
- Subscribers get one virtual console online enabled game for a month. Strange.
- Separate app for chat/voice on smartphones. Weird.
- Launch Games
- 1, 2, Switch
- Just Dance
- Launch “Window” games
- Has Been Heroes (March 2017)
- I am Setsuna (March 2017)
- Sonic Mania (Spring 2017)
- Lego City Undercover (Spring 2017)
- Arms (spring 2017)
- Super Bomberman R (March 2017)
- Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! (March 2017)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April 28, 2017)
- Splatoon 2 (Summer 2017)
- NBA 2K18 (September 2017)
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Fall 2017)
- Super Mario Odyssey (Holiday 2017)
- I pre-ordered. I knew I was going to get this. I had the money put aside. I’m excited. I also totally understand why most people would wait. My criteria is generally 2 games I want to play on day 1. For me the winners here are Zelda, 1 2 Switch (though I won’t buy it), Has Been Heroes, and Arms.
- Longer term I know I’ll pick up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, and Super Mario Odyssey.
- All of that will be year one. Totally worth it to me.
- Worried about the price point for the general audience. It’s not competing with PS4 and Xbox One the way they should be. It’s too close to bundle prices. I’m worried this might be another Wii U where it’s worth it for me, but not most people, and it won’t be a huge success.
Geeky Sponsor / Offer of the Week
- Book Recommendation: Red Rising by Pierce Brown. Get it for free at audibletrial.com/geektogeekcast
- Void on The Comic Box podcast this week talking about Batman the Telltale Game
- Beej – More Marvel Future Fight on mobile devices / Star Wars Force Arena on mobile phones / Agents of SHIELD Season 3 / Amazing Spider-man (2015) / Civil War II
- Void – Stellaris / Acquisitions Inc Holiday Special / Silver Surfer comics by Dan Slott / Sherlock Season 4 / Revisiting stuff
Be sure to subscribe to the Geek to Geek Podcast your favorite podcast app, drop a review so we know how we’re doing, and feel free contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or @geektogeekcast on Twitter with any comments, questions, or suggestions for the show. Thanks for listening, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
Geek Offer of the Week:
Geek to Geek Podcast Network:
Music by CarboHydroM