In This Episode:
We go in-depth on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, covering the good and the bad and recommending it all the same. But here’s the thing: it’s not a very good game, mechanically. But it’s a lot of fun and we are loving it, and we think you should play it.
It’s junk food. It’s like eating movie theater candy. You know it’s not great, but you are absolutely loving the experience.
It’s a great low key co-op couch game, but neither of us have played it online co-op. We want to. It just hasn’t happened yet. Beej loves it on single-player, but despite having a ton of replayability, a NG+ (and NG++), and more, the real replayability comes in with being able to sit down beside someone and smash stuff.
The Marvel skin goes a long way toward enjoying the game. While it’s a fun game on its own, the Marvel skin really ups the appeal. If this were a traditional beat-em-up, it’d be a quick bounce. With the built-in investment, it is a complete and total blast to play.
The gameplay itself is a pretty unpolished, which surprises us because of the press and hype prior to the launch. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is a solid game in many ways, but we do have nits to pick.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 Nitpick Quick Hits
- Shared xp between characters not in your party
- Better difficulty ramps with less spikes. It gets absurdly hard with no warning.
- Better camera. Just…better. Please.
- Clearer identification of what’s happening on the screen. It gets so chaotic at times, you have no choice but to button mash and pray.
- Save character progress when you fail (you have to replay entire sections, and lose XP)
- More seamlessly integrated challenge mode. The Infinity Rifts and Infinity Challenges reset the game when you enter/exit.
- Better UI all around. Make the buttons do what you think they’re going to do.
- More interesting upgrades. Right now, it’s straight-up stat upgrades.
We do feel that a lot of these issues can be addressed in patches or DLC. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is under a week old as of this episode, and a lot can change.
While MUA3 falls solidly into the trop of “we’re paying to beta test a game,” we are both still playing the game despite all this, and really having a great time.
Heck, Beej even went out and paid for the DLC season pass within an hour or two despite all this because he likes it so much.
Take that for what you will.
Both of us fall on the side of having similar tastes in heroes, too. Void runsSpider-Gwen, Scarlet Witch, Ms. Marvel, and Venom, abd Beej loves Spider-Gwen, Captain Marvel, and Deadpool, with Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man, and Venom alternating in for the fourth sloth.
MCU Roadmap from SDCC 2019
We also recap all the MCU announcements from SDCC and discuss the parts we’re geeking out about the most!
- May 1, 2020 – Black Widow (theaters)
- Fall 2020 – The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney+)
- November 6, 2020 – The Eternals (theaters)
- February 21, 2021 – Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (theaters)
- Spring 2021 – WandaVision (Disney+)
- Spring 2021 – Loki (Disney+)
- May 7, 2021 – Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (theaters)
- Summer 2021 – What If…? (Disney+)
- Fall 2021 – Hawkeye (Disney+)
- November 5, 2021 – Thor: Love and Thunder (theaters)
- February 18, 2022 – Untitled Project
- May 6, 2022 – Untitled Project
- July 29, 2022 – Untitled Project
Thor 4 with Taika Waititi & Natalie Portman
Black Widow movie villain will be Taskmaster
Although they don’t have dates yet, Feige revealed Marvel is working on sequels to Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and Guardians of the Galaxy.
A Fantastic Four film will be introduced in phase four, and so will Blade
Support the Podcast on Patreon
You can go to https://patreon.com/geektogeekcast to support the podcast, and you can get some cool stuff, too. You can be a Patron Saint of Geekery and get some neato Reddit flair.
We are always looking to add new tiers for patrons, so if there’s something you would like to see, let us know!
Join Our Community!
- Discord: discord.geektogeekmedia.com
- Slack: slack.geektogeekmedia.com
- Reddit: reddit.com/r/geektogeekcast
Geek to Geek Podcast Network
- Geek to Geek
- Geek Fitness
- Tea Time with Katie and Chelsea
- Austin’s “Dragon Quest” Quest
Music by CarboHydroM