In This Episode:
- Phantasy Star Online 2
- Geek to Geek is our Alliance on Ship 1. Make sure to ask for an invite from Beej (character) or professorbeej (PlayerID).
- Star Ocean: First Departure R
- Played the original for a while back on SNES when it was only available via emulation and fan translation
- Difficulty Spikes
- Beautiful graphics
- Xenoblade Chronicles DE
- Watched Austin play a bunch
- Super pretty, remade in the Xenoblade 2 engine
- Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Wii U gamepad isn’t as nice as I remember
- The resolution on the screen stinks for this game
- But the graphics on the TV are insanely good for a Wii U game
- Dragon Quest IV
- The first part of the game is so freaking slow
- Austin keeps pushing me to get through, so I did
- It’s much, much better after the initial 4 chapters (7-9ish hours)
- Phantasy Star Online 2
- Shark open world RPG
- Great if you want to be a shark and eat things
- Not great if you want a lot of variety
- I’m enjoying it for what it is
- But it’s not much more than it looks like at first glance
- Feeding frenzy if it was turned into an open world RPG
- This game needs a true lock on so badly
- Shark upgrades!
- Bone armor
- Bioelectric fins
- Poison Tail
- Feels like a AA game, the kind we don’t normally get anymore
- My favorite 7/10 game so far this year
- Fantastic podcast game
- Just zone out and be a Shark for awhile
- Like overwatch mixed with a MOBA
- Reminders me of Battleborn… but better
- Characters and abilities are fun but objective and victory messaging needs work
- Amazon made a game and no one came to play it
- Minecraft Dungeons
- Diablo for kids
- Wow, this game is amazing for onboarding kids into a loot game
- Super fun with my kids
- Enchanting is cool, you can always get enchantments back
- One of my favorite books I’ve read this year
- Premise is a post scarcity world where an AI (the thunderhead) has figured out everything we need
- Humans no longer die from natural causes
- So humans have created the Scythedom, which is the only group outside of the Thunderhead’s influence,
- It’s made up of a group of scythes that kill people because overpopulation is still an issue.
- Scythes approach their job very differently from one another
- It’s finally a true modern Star Trek
- Modern format but still grounded in Star Trek lore and world building.
- It makes Discovery look amateur in comparison
- It has that common streaming show problem of going dark and gorey sometimes just because it can, not because the story needs it
- I want more Star Trek like this… but with an actual star fleet vessel and crew
- Apply this style of storytelling to that and it would be awesome
- This isn’t a family friendly Star Trek, but they could use some of the structure and style of this show to make a really good one
- Why am I not compelled to watch more when I finish an episode!?
- Single player puzzle card game
- Line up crystals and circles to unlock gems and free spirit animals
- It’s fun as a quiet single player game where you can put a ton of concentration into it or you can just kinda make decisions instinctually and see how it goes. The game scales to your mood.
Support the Podcast on Patreon
You can go to https://patreon.com/geektogeekcast to support the podcast, and you can get some cool stuff, too. You can be a Patron Saint of Geekery and get some neato Reddit flair.
We are always looking to add new tiers for patrons, so if there’s something you would like to see, let us know!
Join Our Community!
- Discord: discord.geektogeekmedia.com
- Slack: slack.geektogeekmedia.com
- Reddit: reddit.com/r/geektogeekcast
Geek to Geek Media Original Content
We have expanded the original content on the Geek to Geek Media website. We now have video game reviews, movie lookbacks, geeky toy rundowns, and all sorts of original blogs and livestreams. Not to mention the slate of fantastic podcasts that you know and love.
Head over to https://geektogeekmedia.com to check it all out.
Music by CarboHydroM