FFXIV Has It’s MMO Claws In Us
In this episode:
- Final Fantasy is one of our favorite series. We play them and replay them, and recently, FFXIV grabbed both of us and sank it’s grubby little MMO claws right into us. While neither of us tend to be big MMOers these days, FFXIV has so much going for it that we really can’t resist it.
- FFXIV is in full swing for both of us in the middle of the summer gaming slump. We’ve been playing at pretty much the exclusion to all else for the past few weeks. Hear us geek out over an MMO for the first time in a long time!
- We talk about what makes this MMO special (aside from it being Final Fantasy), what it does right in terms of modernizing the genre, and the kinds of things that keep us coming back. The mechanics feel different and polished in a way that other MMOs just feel spammy.
- We talk about the characters that draw us in, how it’s more of a Final Fantasy game first than an MMO, and how despite neither of us having played the 1.0 version, that we feel the game has a history and story that’s rich and we’re a part of.
- We discuss different classes like Red Mage and Bard and how the length of time we’ve played and when we started has influenced how we feel about the game. Beej plays for the social aspect, while Void plays for the story, but they can meet in the middle and see the value in how it all ties together and makes a fantastic game that everyone can enjoy.
- Next week, we are going to dig in on the expansions, Heavensward and Stormblood, so if you have any questions or comments, please email, tweet, or send them to us on the subreddit! We want to talk about what you want to hear about!
- Beej got back to running, got hooked on mobile Final Fantasy games (FFV and VI), and made some bad trampoline decisions.
- Void watched a bunch of different things, rewatched some other movies and TV, and determined the best of the bunch was Arrival.
- NoClip’s FFXIV Documentary we talk about in this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4
Be sure to subscribe to the Geek to Geek Podcast your favorite podcast app, drop a review so we know how we’re doing, and feel free contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or @geektogeekcast on Twitter with any comments, questions, or suggestions for the show. Thanks for listening, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
Geek Offer of the Week:
Geek to Geek Podcast Network:
Music by CarboHydroM